Academic Learning Labs
Open Slots for the Upcoming School Year:
Grades 2/3, Grades 5/6, and Junior High / High School
Contact Amy to learn more (contact information at the top of the page.)
Effective & Engaging
An individualized approach to your child’s education
Our Learning Labs are staffed by experienced Intervention Specialists and Educators who specialize in working with students who benefit from tailored instruction.
Together, we bring decades of knowledge and expertise to the classroom and collaborate across content areas to identify the strengths and challenges of the individual student.
Incorporating the student’s learning profile to our instructional approach is a key component of the program. General Education classes in reading, writing, and math focus on skill and concept development through explicit instruction. Intervention services further support student mastery utilizing individualized strategies and research-based methodologies.
Additionally, Executive Function (EF) skills are explicitly taught using the SMARTS-ef program. The curriculum provides our educators a platform for teaching student strategies in goal setting, cognitive flexibility, organizing and prioritizing, memorizing, self-checking and monitoring.
Learning Lab Grades: 2-8 and 9-12
Learning Lab Schedule: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Wednesday, August 24, 2022 – Thursday, May 25, 2023
Provide students the opportunity to acquire the academic and social-emotional strategies and skills necessary to reach their potential.
- Explicit strategic instruction across content areas
- Engaging multisensory approach to instruction builds stronger neural connections, better retention of concepts, and access to multiple ways to learn and understand information
- Empowering Executive Functioning strategies help students understand how they think and learn and how to tackle complex tasks
- Multi-sensory approach
- CRA: Concrete, Representational, Abstract methodology utilized
- Emphasis placed on conceptual understanding
- Focus on foundational skills and concepts at a student’s instructional level
ELA ~ Lower Grades
- Explicit instruction in Orton-Gillingham based decoding and encoding strategies
- Direct instruction in phonics, phonemic awareness, fluency, reading comprehension, and writing
- Multi-sensory activities and lessons
Reading ~ Middle Grades
- Utilization of Reading Workshop models
- Explicit strategic instruction with emphasis on metacognitive comprehension strategies
- Exploration of a variety of text structures including narrative and informational
- Vocabulary acquisition and utilization
Writing ~ Middle Grades
- Utilization of Reading and Writing Workshop models
- Learn and practice foundational writing skills
- Explicit strategic instruction across Writing genres (ex. Narrative, Informational, Persuasive, etc.)
Science & Social Studies
- Application of informational Reading & Writing strategies across curricular areas
- Rotation of topics
- Utilization of hands-ons activities to support student engagement and learning
Specialized Intervention and SL & OT Therapy
- Specific academic needs
- Support of IEP goals
- Evidence-based interventions
- Holisitc approach, including social emotional learning
Learning Labs details
- Professional interactions with parents and students
- Caring, engaging environment
- Effective communication
- Quarterly reporting on progress
- Attend every day unless not feeling well
- Participate in classes
- Treat self, staff and students with respect
- Complete homework
- Support strategies your child learns
- Arrive and pick-up on time
- Contact staff with concerns/questions
Social-Emotional Learning Block
Social Studies, Science, and Art extensions
Educator to student ratio average is 1:3.
Virtual sessions occur only on inclement weather days.
Tuition assistance is available through our nonprofit: Specialized Educational Center. Contact us to learn more.
Specialized Educational Center is now an Amazon supported non-profit organization! When you choose Specialized Educational Center as your non-profit of choice, Amazon will donate 0.5% of eligible purchases to us. Click the link below to start supporting today!
“My teacher teaches me skills in a way I can learn. I am more confident in my reading and writing abilities.”
“I’ll most definitely send any families looking for academic support and alternative schooling options to you.”
“Your thoughtful planning for instruction results in a meaningful educational experience, progress, and true benefit for the time invested in learning.“
Let’s Start the Process!
Please call/email to schedule a meeting to discuss your child’s needs.
Meet to learn about your child
Review your child’s records and reports
Evaluate your child’s skills and needs
Tuition Assistance available